Tuesday, April 07, 2009

I'll always remember: the day I got my first bike

It's just such a happy memory. I can't see the future, but I'm hoping it's just a certainty that we'll have kids and I will have the chance to give the same memory to Gidgit. It's the behind-the-scenes marital communication that made it work; I'm absolutely positive that this moment was not as "spur of the moment" as I thought it was when it actually happened.

Unfortunately, as a lot of memories go, some of the details are a little fuzzy. I was little though, remember. I can picture the store in my head, and from what I can see in my mind's eye it must have been a Fred Meyer. For some reason, I seem to recall that we were on our way to Nana's. Not sure why, I do not recollect if it was a holiday or what, but at any rate . . . we were at "Fred Meyer" (or somewhere) and then were going off to Nana's mobile home that was on the way to Cornelius.

I was playing around with the bikes in the store; I think we must have stopped in for something quick. Huh, maybe it was Costco? I can see big expanses of white linoleum and high ceilings, and the bikes I was playing with were in the aisle on display. Nope, I'm still thinking it was a Fred Meyer. Whatever.

The bike had a purple frame, and had a white banana seat with a unicorn on it.

Again, I'm certain Mom and Dad pre-discussed everything. Perhaps they talked right then in the store, or maybe they had talked about it (briefly or at length) some other time, and just gave each other a "marital look" that day in the store that now the timing was right. Or maybe when we went to the store they already knew they were going to get me a bike. I don't know, and I don't want to, because it would take the magic away.

At any rate, I didn't see any of that, and this is what I remember: I was sitting on the bike or holding it (admiring the unicorn), and getting ready to put it away so we could be off to Nana's, when all of a sudden Daddy says, "Do you want it?" I either nodded or shouted, I'm not sure how I responded I was so shocked, but I definitely gave an affirmative answer, and he said, "Then it's yours."

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails