Monday, August 03, 2009

Exclamation points!

I received an e-mail at work that I think is hilarious. It was from a solicitor that wanted my company's advertising business. I don't want to quote too much in case it's a conflict of interest, but . . . oh well, what the heck:


"I hope all is well and you're getting back into the swing of things after the long weekend! We had perfect weather here in Anytown, USA, for 3 days of BBQs and celebrations. Hoping for the same for the weekend ahead!

Anyway, I wanted to let you know about an exciting Summer 6-for-2 discount package available here at [ . . . ]! With this package, you can run your ad in 3 monthly print issues AND 3 specialty eMags of your choice: [ . . . ] all for only the price of 2 print ads! You can have your recruitment advertising set for the rest of the Summer!

Don't miss this great opportunity to get your recruitment message out to potential candidates in print and online. Contact me for more details or if you would like a sample and quote to review for the upcoming issues.

Thanks and have a great day!"

I count 9 sentences, and only 3 of them are sans an exclamation point.

Or rather, I suppose I should say: I count 9 sentences, and only 3 of them are sans an exclamation point!

What an idiot. I actually laughed out loud when I read it. Really, this is his advertising technique? It is not effective at all. He just sounds like a Valley Girl. Like, ya know?

This is from Wikipedia: "Overly frequent use of the exclamation mark is generally considered poor writing, for it distracts the reader and reduces the mark's meaning." Wikipedia then goes on to quote F. Scott Fitzgerald, a quote that I think is absolutely priceless:


"Cut out all those exclamation marks. An exclamation mark is like laughing at your own jokes."
That is absolutely true! Don't you think! Ha ha!

Geez, oh criminy. Please say you could tell I was kidding right there.

Here's the real stumper though: is it exclamation point or mark? Wikipedia says mark, but I've always said point. Which is correct? I have always said question mark and exclamation point, and I am not finding a definitive answer anywhere. Seems to be that exlamation point and mark are interchangeable? Wikipedia seems to have picked mark, but they do not say that point is wrong. Does it just go according to the writer's preference?

I wish I knew what MLA thought on this subject.

1 comment:

Glynis Peters said...

I tend to use them a lot in comment boxes! I find it gets my enthusiasm for the post across! ;0

I try and avoid using too many in my wip. I must say your guy was practically hyperactive with his!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails