Friday, February 13, 2009

I'll always remember: my first visit to Ohio . . .

. . . and driving around with Danny, and seeing fields full of seagulls.

It was my 28th birthday the first time I came out here, I remember. And Danny was taking me around, showing me the sights. And I'll never forget seeing big open fields, not unlike the farms on River Road and Farmington Road in Beaverton, Oregon, except for one big difference: seagulls congregate in large numbers out in the fields.

Of course I'd seen seagulls before, and even seeing them as far inland as the Willamette Valley wasn't anything new to me either. But so many, just chillin' in the field! It was the craziest thing I'd ever seen, and for some reason I just thought it was hilarious. I even made Danny slow down so I could take a picture.

It's funny, now that I'm here, I don't see seagulls in the fields nearly as much as we did that day. I don't know if it's just like Oregon, in that the seagulls only come inland when there's a storm out at the coast? Perhaps the conditions were just right . . . in fact, I'm certain that's what it was. But the conditions haven't really been the same since that day.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails