Saturday, February 07, 2009

Music memories

Isn't it funny how songs can have a memory attached to them? Not necessarily of a specific event, but maybe a place or a feeling, or something else.

When I drove into work this morning, I was listening to my iPod, and Daniel Bedingfield's He Don't Love You Like I Love You came on. There is absolutely no significance with the lyrics, but I was transported back to my old room in the townhome I lived in with Brooke and Mary. It was weird! I could see my room and how I had the furniture arranged, that weird little hallway to my bathroom! And I could see the trees that were outside the windows, and the Rivercrest Meadows parking lot. I was there.

Not all songs have quite that strong of a memory, but Beyonce's Naughty Girl is right up on the list. We had been drinking heavily, and I was sitting in the back seat of Tonya's car with Carly. We were all singing the lyrics we knew (not much). Tonight, I'll be your naughty girl! And then there was me, hanging out there, echoing "Naughty girl!" because . . . I don't know! I thought it would sound good as an echo? I thought Beyonce was going to echo herself? Not sure what I was thinking, but it was so out of time--so completely off!--it was hilarious!

Britney Spears One More Time: not a specific memory, but when I hear it I remember parties in college, and taking turns with Brooke being the schmuck to request it. DJs always groan when they hear our request, but then everyone (or at least all the girls) would always rush out to the dance floor and have a great time. That song is college.

Speaking of college, how about Sisqo The Thong Song and Bloodhound Gang You and Me Baby Ain't Nothin' But Mammals, plus various others: Shasta. The red, sandy dirt. Drinking, drinking, drinking. Did we do anything else while we were there? But I can see the houseboats, the blue water that was always so dirty close to shore, the huge expanse of blue, blue sky, and the green forestry that encased the lake and us in our own little private world.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails