Friday, October 09, 2009

A letter to the filmographers on House

Dear Sir or Madam,

This letter is to inform you of my intense, all-consuming, ferocious disappointment with the new format for your television program House, specifically the altered camera styles.

I have no idea who your filmographer is, or if I have my terminology mixed up and it's technically a film director. Or a producer. Or a director. Giving me a vocabulary lesson is not the point here.

I also don't know if there has been a change in staffing. I don't know if the House filmographer is trying to "move with the times," and adopt a new style of filming, or if someone new is using the show as a guinea pig (however, if it is someone new trying out a new style for the show, then I must say I think that is a big mistake, but that is neither here nor there).

It does not matter to me who is doing the filming, and I don't care who makes the decision about what type of camera style the show has. What I care about is what I see on the screen, and that should be important to you.

I am your audience. I hope I am giving a voice to the other viewers who are experiencing the same problems; I know it is not just me.

The "new style," as I say, is one that I liken to Law and Order, and therefore refer to it as Law and Order style. It's a technique I have noticed in which the camera spends a lot of time focused tightly on a person's face, but their face is not centered in the viewing area. Only part of the person's face is in the shot. Sometimes as much as half of their face is off-screen.

Worse yet, the partial-person in the screen is most likely speaking to someone, but the viewer is unable to see to whom the character is speaking.

Another fly in the ointment: frequently the angle is skewed as well, so there isn't just a problem of the face only partially making it in the shot, but something odd is actually what is centered on screen. A chair, a door jamb, someone's arm . . . the list continues endlessly.

In addition to the weird camera angles, the other aspect of Law and Order style is what I simply call shakey camera. This style is used a lot in movies with battle scenes; it gives the audience a sense of the confusion that the characters in the movie must also be feeling in the fight. I get it, I put up with it in movies, and yet . . .

I hate it.

I hate the quick cuts from one camera to another. I hate the "walking camera." I hate the joggling "home movie" style of filming. I hate feeling seasick. I hate sitting down to watch a television program, and feeling ill when it is over.

I am finding that I am distracted by this Law and Order style of filmography, and relieved when a commercial comes. How sad for House that I am losing interest in what I used to think was a pretty decent way to spend my precious evening hours. What a shame that I am considering removing the House season pass from our Tivo.

I hate that due to this sub-par style of filming, I am missing vital elements to the story, so I have to rewind and watch portions of the show twice. I hate that I feel just as ill when I have to watch the same scene for a second time.

Sincerely,
A formerly avid fan
Now just a mediocre fan, on the border of not being a fan at all

1 comment:

Henri B. said...

After they figure out that it doesn't fit with the show's mood and they change it back it will forever be referred to as "the shaky camera season".

Related Posts with Thumbnails