Wednesday, January 20, 2010

I'll always remember: singing to Secret

(Secret's Story)

Secret was in really bad shape that day I brought her home.  My description of Ernie the day I found him is also accurate of Secret, although perhaps minus a few flea bites.  She was just skin and bones and big green eyes.

And I'll always remember our back deck, and how we had a table in the corner and that was where we set up her bed.  I sat with her a lot those first few days, and she was so scared, and I wanted her to know I was there and I wanted to help.  But I didn't know what to do.

I finally decided I would sing to her, but (remember, I was five) I ran into a dilemma:  I had trouble thinking of any songs that I knew all the words!

As an aside, can you?  Even today, I know the chorus, or just a portion, of plenty of songs, but there aren't many in which I know all the words.

It was an itsy bitsy, teeney weeney, yellow polka dot bikini that she wore for the first time that day!  Tra la la la la.

Wastin' away again in Margaritaville.  Searching for my lost shaker of salt.  Salt! Salt! Salt!  Da da da da doo doo.

Papa, paparazzi!  Doo doo DOO doo . . . love me!
And so on.

Not as easy as you first thought, is it?  And, going back to your song choices, did you think of one yet that you know all the words to?  Come on, let me have my fun.  Play along and try and think of one.  Forget if it's appropriate to sing to a sick cat or not, just go through your song file and come up with one that you could sing from start to finish.

[Pause]

Is it a Christmas song?

There I was.  A little kid, sitting on the back porch, all alone, going through my limited choices of the 5-year-old appropriate songs that I could think of.  I finally settled on Away in a Manger.

Even then I thought I was an idiot, but . . . Secret seemed to like it, and I guess that's all that matters.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails